Tofu is one of those classic vegetarian foods that meat-eaters love to hate on. And I can't blame them, if they've only had lousy tofu. If cooked tofu tastes similar to it's raw state with maybe only a coating of sauce or a deep-fried crust on the outside and no inner flavour permeation, then tofu is not my favourite.
But, it has so much possibility for deliciousness. Tofu is literally a sponge for juicy flavours, if you just give it some time. And this versatile recipe for baked tofu produces a consistently delicious result and is dead simple--in fact, it's a signature dish of my 8 year old daughter! It only takes 5 minutes to put together but needs 45-60 minutes in the oven to soak up the yummy flavour.
We use it in all sorts of ways, primarily variations on a buddha bowl with rice, quinoa or buckwheat, an assortment of cooked and raw veggies and drizzled in some sort of sauce (think peanut or miso tahini). But it's also a great protein (and plant-based calcium source) to include on a salad--vegan caesar maybe? And once cooled a bit, it can be used as a snack or appetizer and dipped in a barbecue or peanut sauce. You can choose your citrus and herbs according to what you're using it for.
For a family of four who also need lunches for the next day, I usually double this recipe, but still cram it in the same size pan. Leftovers will keep for 3 days.
- 1 350g package firm tofu (medium or extra firm will give a slightly different texture)
- Juice of 1 lime or lemon
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp fresh basil, rosemary or cilantro, minced (or 2 tsp dried)
- 1/2 tsp fresh ground black pepper
- 1/3 c. water
1. Preheat oven to 375F.
2. In a 9x13 pan, combine all ingredients except tofu.
3. Slice tofu in 4 filet pieces, meaning in half lengthwise and then half each of those pieces lengthwise again (or whichever shape you prefer--1 inch cubes, finger-size sticks, etc.)
4. Place in pan and cover with marinade.
5. Bake for 1 hour flipping pieces halfway through.
Nutrition Facts (per serving): 190 Calories; 14g Protein; 4.5g Carbohydrate; 2g Fibre; 14g Fat; 582mg Calcium; 2.5mg Iron; 51mg Magnesium; 167mg Phosphorous; 217mg Potassium; 145mg Sodium; 1.4mg Zinc
--Nicole Fetterly, RD